Make a difference in the lives of refugee and underprivileged children in Vickery Meadow.
Americorp Member Job Description
Title: Heart House Program Assistant
Reporting to: Site Manager
Start Date: June 2020
Established in 2000, Heart House provides life-changing services to refugee children and operates in the heart of the Vickery Meadow community of Dallas –a high-poverty area where 50 different languages are spoken. Heart House’s culturally competent model has proven to increase social and emotional health, confidence levels and academic performance in children hailing from trauma-sensitive backgrounds. Please visit our website www.hearthousedallas.org for more information.
AmeriCorps Members assist the Site Manager in working directly with 15-30 students. This role includes duties related to facilitating lessons and activities, mentoring, and relationship-building. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with underserved communities, particularly children, and the desire to work with culturally and ethnically diverse populations.
- Assist with leading and supervising students in the afterschool space
- Help students with homework or academic lessons
- Help ensure the program site is clean, organized, safe, and conducive to working with children
- Help the Site Manager implement lessons and activities
- Act as a mentor for students, building positive relationships with them
- Participate in various trainings and professional development activities
- Assist with conducting family home visits
- Assist with administering student assessments and collecting data
- Assist with other tasks as assigned by staff
- High School Graduate required
- Have or working towards a bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must be at least seventeen (17) years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Experience working with kids preferred
- Desire to grow and learn in the youth services or education field
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and competent
- Open to learning and acquiring new skills
- A self-starter with ability to take initiative
- Occasional need to lift boxes of up to 25 lbs. or more.
- Job entails standing for long periods of time, cleaning, food distribution and more.
Location & Hours of Position:
- Primary Office Location: 8515 Park Lane Dallas, TX 75231
- Primary Employment Location: Assigned Heart House Site
- Hours are Monday through Thursday 9am to 5pm.
- The position will provide a living allowance as well as an education award.
How to Apply:
- E-mail a current resume and cover letter to [email protected]