Make a difference in the lives of refugee and underprivileged children in Vickery Meadow.
Heart House Program Teachers
Heart House is a non-profit that provides safety, education, and opportunity to refugee and underprivileged children.
Program Teachers work cohesively in an environment of one or more to implement our year-round Head, Heart, Hands program.
Program Teachers work directly with 30 students. Duties include, but not limited to: ensuring children are properly supervised during program hours (3-6PM for after-school programming and 12-4PM for summer programming), assisting with homework, monitoring children during outdoors/recreational time, following necessary procedures to maintain a safe environment for all students, facilitating student-led learning centers, among other duties.
Successful candidates for this rewarding part-time position must be conscientious and organized. Successful candidates should have excellent interpersonal skills to interact with students, staff, volunteers, donors, and parents. Program Teachers are part teacher and part mentor all rolled into one fun position.
Key Job Elements:
- Work collaboratively with others to achieve Heart House goals and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring and facilitating compliance with all Heart House policies and procedures (both site- and program-related).
- Responsible for supervision of children during all hours of operations.
- Responsible for implementing and directly participating in program activities for children, both individually and within a group as necessary. This includes activities related to tutoring, game play, art, computers, and much more.
- Directly responsible for ensuring any and all required paperwork is initially completed, maintained and submitted as required.
- Assist with the integration of community volunteers into the children’s activities
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe environment daily.
- Reports to Program Manager and will work and communicate with other program staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Graduate required
- Bilingual preferred
- Volunteer experience with kids
- Teaching experience preferred
- Ability to collaborate and take initiative
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Occasional need to lift boxes of up to 25 lbs or more
- Job entails standing for long periods of time, cleaning, food distribution and more.
Location & Hours of Position:
- Primary Office Location: 8515 Park Lane
- Primary Employment Location: Assigned Heart House Site
- Normal School Year Working Hours: Mon-Fri 1:00pm – 6:00pm
- Normal Summer Working Hours: Mon-Fri 10:00am – 4:30pm
- Some work outside of normal hours may be required.
- Pay: Position starts at $10 an hour (25 hours each week) and can earn up to $12 an hour based on initiative and job performance.
Note(s) to Position Description:
The position description describes the general nature of the position. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties or skills required for the position.
Position descriptions do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
If an Instructor position seems like a great fit for you, we want to meet you! Send your resume to [email protected], to get started!